Reorganization / Merger Materials
Reorganization / Merger Documents
Reorganization / Merger Process Explained
SCHOOL MERGER PROCESS STEPS
Minerva and Johnsburg School Boards agree to learn more about school mergers. (October, 2022) Minerva and Johnsburg School Boards participate in a presentation on school district reorganization featuring representatives from the New York State Education Department. (January, 2023) Minerva and Johnsburg School Boards host separate community meetings. (February, 2023) and Johnsburg School Boards vote on whether or not to participate in a merger feasibility study. (February, 2023)
- Consultant is hired to conduct a merger feasibility study. (Late Winter/Spring 2023)
- Typically, a Merger Feasibility Advisory Committee is formed to assist with the feasibility study process. The committee normally consists of an equal number of volunteers from each community and will include students, parents, school employees, community members, etc.
- A feasibility study is conducted and shared out to the school communities through multiple Merger Feasibility Advisory Committee meetings. This process typically takes several months to complete.
- Following the completion of the feasibility study, both the Minerva and Johnsburg School Boards will decide, separately, whether or not to conduct a non-binding “straw vote” to assess public support for the merger.
- If either school board decides not to conduct a straw vote, the merger process ends. If either community’s straw vote fails, the merger process will not continue.
- If both communities' straw vote passes, showing community support, the merger approval process proceeds to a second and final/binding vote - in each community.
- The second and binding vote is held, separately in each community, to determine community support for the school merger. Voters who vote in support of the merger are also asked to decide on how many board members the new board will consist of and the length of terms.
- If the second vote fails in either community, the process ends.
- If the second vote passes in both communities, the formal reorganization process begins.
NOTE: Items crossed off have been completed.
Do You Have a Question?
If you have a question that has not been answered in any of this documentation the drop box is still in place at the front of the school building or, you can email Board Clerk, Lynn Green at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you
NYSED Reorganization Slide Show
Minerva Q & A - 2/15/23
Johnsburg Central School Resources